NSS 2021 Convention ~ June 28-July 2* Register

1901 hikers on Mt. Shasta

Local History - California's North

Siskiyou County was created on March 22, 1852, from parts of Shasta and Klamath Counties, and named after the Siskiyou mountain range. The county is the site of the central section of the Siskiyou Trail, which ran between California's Central Valley and the Pacific Northwest. The Siskiyou Trail followed Native American footpaths, and was extended by Hudson's Bay Company trappers in the 1830s. Its length was increased by "Forty-Niners" during the California Gold Rush.

The City of Weed derives its name from the founder of the local lumber mill and pioneer, Abner Weed, who discovered that the area's strong winds were helpful in drying lumber. In 1897, Abner Weed bought the Siskiyou Lumber and Mercantile Mill and 280 acres of land in what is now the City of Weed, for $400. By the 1940s, Weed boasted the world's largest sawmill.

CITY OF WEED

As early as 1891, logging operations were taking place in and around what is now the town of Weed, but it wasn't until 1897 that Weed began to show the first signs of what would later become a booming logging town.

THE WEED ARCH

Carl Phelps, a pioneer businessperson of Weed who was responsible for the building of the first arch in 1922.

CONSTABLE FELKNER & PROHIBITION

Constable William Felkner was the third lawman in Weed. He served from 1924 until 1934. During the prohibition years of the 1920s there was a lot of bootlegging going on all over town.

Links